As an English learner, how do you feel during a conversation with a native speaker? Which dog reflects your feelings? Vote now!
1. Don’t assume it is your fault if you don’t understand what the other person is saying, even if they are a native speaker.
2. There are hundreds of different accents and dialects within some countries, that even those speaking the ‘same’ language may find difficult to understand.
3. Perhaps the other person speaks quickly or quietly, or you may be in a noisy environment that makes it difficult to hear clearly.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask the other person to repeat what they said. You usually find that they will naturally slow down, speak louder, and may even soften their accent.
5. Be confident and don’t be afraid of making mistakes. You will learn from them.